The Children’s Museum of St. Tammany (CMST) inspires children to imagine, explore and create in an interactive learning environment and envisions a community where play is encouraged, creativity is nurtured and learning is enjoyed. The museum is open Tuesday through Friday from 10am to 2pm, Saturdays from 10am to 5pm and Sundays, 11am to 5pm.
CMST features a variety of exhibits for children and families, with activities customized by target age, from infants through age 10. CMSTKids.org describes all exhibits in detail, with goals and opportunities for learning.
GREAT TAMMANY OAK GALLERY (Ages 3-10 years):
Visitors challenge themselves physically and mentally as they navigate the large oak tree. Each new step will take them to the top of their climb.
ARTWORKS GALLERY (all ages):
• ARTworks - presents a fully outfitted art studio. This space features everything an artist could imagine: paint, modeling clay, oil, pastels, music and theater.
• THE NAUTILUS STAGE - provides a low platform for kids to jump on and perform. Props, costumes, puppets, musical instruments and rotating backdrops create an exciting area to perform and shine.
LITTLE LAKE TOTS GALLERY (infants to 10 years):
• LIGHT HOUSE - Visitors can crawl into the lighthouse together with family members or new friends and read a book inside, share a story or work a puzzle.
• THE S.S. CMST - Visitors can catch fish, shrimp and crabs from the S.S. CMST and imagine themselves as fishermen, lighthouse keepers, boat captains and other maritime professionals.
RIVER LANDING GALLERY (ages 2-10 years):
• RIVER MARKET - Guests learn to handle practical, everyday tasks as well as healthy food choices and market concepts.
• BLUE CRAB DINER - Food caught in Little Lake Tots or purchased at River Market may end up on the stove of the Blue Crab Diner.
HOW & WHY GALLERY (ages 2-10 years):
• WATERworks - a "lab" setting, allowing discovery through hands on investigation of water energy (locks, dams, hydroelectric power, etc.).
• GET GLOBAL - The world is a big place for little people and this 6-foot globe will be no exception.
• MAGNETIC BALL WALL - A large assortment of magnetic ramps, shoots, spinners, tubes and other contraptions provide guests with the tools for a truly memorable experience.
• RIGAMAJIG - This collection of wooden planks, wheels, pulleys, nuts, bolts, and rope allows engineers to follow their curiosity through play.
• BUILD YOUR OWN ROLLER COASTER - A very popular activity in children's museums and science centers, the Roller Coaster will explain how roller coasters work, the laws of physics, gravity, friction, conservation of energy, kinetic and potential energy, acceleration and deceleration and g-force principles.
HOW & WHY OUTDOOR STEM LAB GALLERY (ages 2-10 years):
• ARCHAEOLOGY...CAN YOU DIG IT? - Visitors have the opportunity to learn basic archaeological concepts, including: general site assessment, excavating and evaluating artifacts, the importance of context, documentation, and proper disposition of discoveries.
• BUTTERFLY LANDING - By creating a unique habitat for butterflies CMST hopes to help to maintain the survival of these lovely insects along with enriching the lives of others who visit the garden.
More exhibits are still to come.